It was held last Saturday in Dublin. A very informative day and what made it great for me was the dietitian Paula Mee, she is the first dietitian (in my experience) to mention Dr Swank in her recommendations. She spoke about a low saturated fat diet with omega 3 supplementation being just so important for those of us with MS. I couldn’t believe it, I was delighted. So her talk mentioned the food pyramid but was updated to take into account her Swank findings.
When I attended an MS newly diagnosed seminar in 2004, I learnt about the Swank Diet. It made so much sense to me and I bought the book and started adopting it straight away. In 2007, I read Taking Control of MS by Prof George Jelinek (below) and moved to his OMS programme which is (in my opinion) just really a more up to date version of Swank. What amazing men, without which a number of us would not be as well as we are.
After Paula, I got to present my story. Any doubts on how it went, where shattered when I got very encouraging feedback from the audience with a number of people complimenting me on how brave I am. I personally don’t see it as bravery but maybe when it is all new to you this is how it looks, I see it as my way of coping with MS, of getting on with it, taking the good and bad days and still living your life.
While running through my story, I mentioned a lot of links which people can find on the front page of my blog, I have also listed them below.
I really hope that someone in the audience adopts the lifestyle change, I know it is not easy but it can make all the difference to your quality of life.
OMS Webpage – info on program, resources, forum
- Webpage – http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/
- Summary Sheet – http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/html/blob.php/Program%20Overview%20Pocket%20PDF%20v5.pdf?attach=false&documentCode=11098
- Prof Jelinek discusses motivation to change – Podcast – Motivation to change
- Prof Jelinek discusses recovery – Podcast Library « OMS
- OMS – https://www.facebook.com/MultipleSclerosisManagement
- OMS Lifestyle Support FB Group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/489380497836671/
- OMS Ireland – https://www.facebook.com/OvercomingMSIreland
- OMS Irish group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/271414959698814/
George Jelinek Radio Interview